As far as actual cost goes.. I really don’t remember. I know we bought the little bun feet to put on it and I think the foam for the top… pretty much everything else we had.
We stared out with a basic milk crate.. I painted it white for good measure.
Next I cut some scrap lumber lying around…
The bottom is just a piece of 1/2in mdf. and for the side reinforcements I ripped some old 1X4s in half. *Notice I left a lip at the top for the lid to sit down into*
After dry fitting everything inside the crate I took it all back out and sanded all my edges down.
With everything sanded and ready I glued and nailed my inner frame together.
With everything done for inside the crate it was time to start working on the top.. out of 1/2in mdf i cut two rectangles.. one the overall size of the crate.. and one a little smaller. (After you have the foam, batting, and fabric attached to the larger one.. just center the smaller one on the bottom and use some wood glue and a couple short nails to attach. This keeps the lid from sliding off the crate.)
Next I cut the 2in foam to the size of the bigger rectangle.. this will be the cushion for the top.
With the help of some spray adhesive this step goes easily…
Next I stretched the batting over the foam and secured it to the back of the wood via the handy-dandy staple gun and some more spray adhesive.
Here’s how she looks with the batting stapled down.
Meg meanwhile wrapped the crate with batting and then stapled the fabric on next..
All that was left was to staple the fabric to the lid and stick the feet on the bottom. Then you have this.. a wonderful little footstool.. With storage!!